Trigg County officials gathered Tuesday morning at the Trigg County Emergency Operations Center to discuss issues surrounding the coronavirus pandemic and how it is affecting the community.
Key leaders including Trigg County Judge Executive Hollis Alexander, Cadiz Mayor Todd King and David Bryant, director of emergency management, discussed plans for managing new regulations from the state and procedures in case an individual tests positive for COVID-19.
“We are doing our best to keep our critical infrastructures in place to handle anything that comes our way and making sure we are prepared in case something does happen here,” Alexander said.
COVID-19 is a mild to severe respiratory illness that can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Some patients have reported headaches and diarrhea with the illness. Symptoms can take between two and 14 days to appear.
Those individuals who feel that they may have the virus are encouraged to see their doctor to be tested.
As of press time, no cases of the coronavirus have been diagnosed in Trigg County; however, the hospital has created an isolation center in preparation.
“We have been testing people in our clinics and have not gotten any positive tests back yet at the hospital,” said Jodi Wilson, compliance officer at Trigg County Hospital.
School Superintendent Bill Thorpe closed schools Monday and announced Friday that they would remain closed through March 27.
The closing is in response to Gov. Andy Beshear’s recommendation for K-12 schools to close for two weeks to reduce the spread of the coronavirus. The outbreak was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization last week.
According to Thorpe’s statement, “Trigg County Central Office will be monitoring the situation and will evaluate the next phase at the end of the second week to determine what actions the school district will take.”
Thorpe said all co-curricular and extracurricular along with any school sponsored activities were to cease at 3 p.m. Friday. Playgrounds along with any other district owned or operated facilities will also be shut down, according to Thorpe’s statement.
In the past two weeks, cases of the virus in the United States have spiked, causing cautionary measures to be taken across the country.
Although there have been no reported cases in western Kentucky yet, there have been 21 in the state, as of Monday.
The Center for Disease Control reported that preventative measures should be taken to help combat the spread of the virus, including proper hand washing, sanitation, coughing and sneezing into your elbow, etc.
Trigg County Hospital reported during its last meeting that they have ordered extra supplies and have put procedures in place for handling any potential cases of the virus locally.
“We are handling this in much the same way that we have handled other widespread viruses in the past,” said Wilson during the meeting. “We have plans in place and feel confident that we can handle anything that may happen here.”
Patients who feel that they may have the virus or symptoms of the virus are asked to call in to their primary care doctor or the hospital before coming in to allow for preparations to be made for them.
Other businesses and government entities have closed some operations due to recommendations from the state.
The Trigg County Senior Center is closed, but will provide meals to those in need through Meals on Wheels and a drive through service at the back of the center.
All restaurants and bars were ordered to close as of 5 p.m. Monday. Some will still offer drive-thru and delivery options.
The county clerk’s office, circuit court clerk’s office and sheriff’s office have stopped in-person administrative services and will require bills and other needs be completed online. The sheriff deputies will still patrol as normal, but administrative personnel will not be in the office.
President Donald J. Trump announced Monday that personal and social gatherings should be limited to 10 people or less.
There was no update at press time as to when these regulations will be lifted.
Editor’s note: Due to press time restrictions, The Cadiz Record will publish additional coverage of Tuesday morning’s meeting in the March 25 edition.